Saturday, April 19, 2014

Reflection on Team-based Research Project Proposal

The team-based research project was a good way to consolidate what I have learnt over the past months from ES2007S. After our group was formed, our group met up to decide on potential topics that we could use for our research project. All of us in the group did not know one another beforehand and thus I was glad that we did break the ice fast and quickly started the discussion that we were supposed to have. We short-listed some of the topics that we could use and finally decided on doing on the topic of "Electronic-Waste".
After deciding on this topic, we were supposed to conduct some preliminary research on the topic before the next meeting.

The use of technology has allowed group members to stay in contact despite the fact that we come from different faculties and had different timetables. The use of technology included Whatsapp, Wrike and Google Drive. I feel that the use of such online communicating tools is definitely important and useful as it allows group members to stay connected and express their ideas any time and anywhere. Such applications are also useful in the workplace where there might be inter-department collaborations in projects and it is difficult to find a common time to meet.

After the preliminary research has been conducted, our group proceeded with a more depth discussion of the current situation and solutions that we can adopt to improve the current situation. During the discussion, there were many ideas/proposals that were surfaced. Each of us evaluated each idea critically and tried to built up on existing ones. Although there were some disagreements at times, everyone was able to come to a consensus and compromise on certain issues. This definitely made the discussion a more fruitful one and new ideas were able to be surfaced as a result of such critical and detailed discussion that we have.

Lastly, the meeting agenda and minutes were important tools that aided in our research project. For the many projects that I have done in the past, I did not bother to take minutes or items that were discussed. This resulted in a lack of structure and focus for my previous projects. However, as we were required to take minutes of the discussion our group had for this research project, I realised that the project became more focused and had a clear direction. Items that were discussed or to be done were clearly indicated and this allowed everyone to had a clear picture of the outstanding items. I also felt that this project was done in a more efficient manner and everyone had an enjoyable time doing the project.

In conclusion, this research project proposal assignment was indeed an enriching and fruitful one. The discussions that we had were very meaningful and engaging. This definitely helps me prepare for a team project in the workplace and I would be confident in facilitating and working on a team-based project in the workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment